Labor Day Weekend: Ryder’s 1st time Camping


{ August 31st – September 1st, 2014 }

Initially we thought about all going camping over Labor Day Weekend but we kind of thought about it too late where most of the good camp sites would have already been booked. My dad and Kevin had the idea to camp in my parents’ backyard – which is basically legit camping – for a trial run… to see how Ryder would do camping, since he hadn’t been before. Also, if it ended up being horrible, we could - worst case scenario - put him to sleep in my parents’ house in their pack ‘n’ play. SO, we decided to do it!

Sunday, August 31st, we had church (Fast & Testimony Meeting & I shared my testimony haha I share it like once a year…) & then a Relief Society Presidency Meeting.

Afterwards, we quickly threw our stuff in the Jeep and drove over to my parents. ( My mom was out of town in Utah helping Zach & Kelsi move in to their apartments at BYU. ) We set up our area & used my dad’s tent. It is a much bigger one than the one we have. We also ended up using my families’ cots instead of our sleeping bags & inflatable pad things. SO, Kevin & I both set up a cot and we laid down a ton of blankets on the ground for Ryder so he would be in between us. I didn’t want him falling off a cot in the middle of the night or anything. He isn’t in a big boy bed yet, still a crib ;) He will be in there until he is 13, haha. ;)

Then my dad & I went inside their house and prepped for tin foil dinners. We put in hamburger meat, squash, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, onion, and of course, butter & some seasoning. I made the dessert bananas which were stuffed full of marshmallows, coconut, and chocolate chips.

Meanwhile, we drove around the Ranger (Polaris ATV), hung out, enjoyed the views (because they have some great ones at their lake!), & then ate dinner. Tin foil dinners are always a good choice!! We make them almost every time we go camping. Then we hung out some more and decided to try to put Ryder down to bed in the tent since it was his bed time haha. It didn’t go well. He just stood up and yelled at the tent opening we had just zipped up. So, he was too excited and hyper and not in the mood to go to sleep, so we let him out and ate our banana desserts with him. What I wanted to do was, when he went to sleep, to play card games and hangout but we realized that is not what you do when you camp with a kid… They probably aren’t going to want to sleep in a brand new place, outside, but in a tent, easily ha. SO, Kevin decided to try to go to bed with Ryder while I went inside real quick. Ryder and him were snuggling in his cot and he was having a hard time putting him down to sleep. I came in and tried to get him to go to sleep. I think Ryder would have fallen asleep with me in my cot but I wasn’t comfortable with how he got situated. Plus, I knew if we both fell asleep like that…I just wouldn’t get a good nights rest. So Kevin and I tried for awhile to get him to sleep on the blankets, in a warm sleeping bag, with his blankets, Billy the goat, and binky but he wasn’t having it! So we got the place ready and Kevin slept on the blankets with Ryder. Finally after an hour or so, they both fell asleep.

It was actually a pretty cool night out so I was a little cold. I was so paranoid to try to grab a jacket or a blanket because if I woke up Ryder, then I don’t even know what we would do haha.

Monday, September 1st, in the morning, we woke up and luckily, it was starting to warm up. I went inside to find my dad and Hunter so we could all make breakfast. They were originally going to camp with us but they were both on antibiotics & getting over sicknesses so it would be smarter for them to sleep inside in the warmth.

They came out and Kevin and my dad made breakfast. Kevin used our camping griddle. They made a yummy egg breakfast (I cannot get over how good it was!) of eggs, potatoes, onion, ham, salt and pepper, butter, & more. They also made bacon on the campfire and pancakes as well. It was delicious! If you see Ryder eating something yellow and long, he totally was trying to eat a stick of butter for breakfast. It was too funny so I let him while I took some photos. He just was using a plastic knife and getting little chunks of butter out and eating it hahahah. So disgusting but great.

Since it was actually Labor Day, Kevin didn’t go into work. [ So crazy to me that 2 years ago, I had Ryder ON LABOR DAY. I was in Labor for all of it hahaha. ] So we hung out at my parents backyard for awhile. Then we came back home and did some party prep for Ryder’s 2nd Birthday and Kevin lead FHE later that night.

* Note: I am glad that we did try camping with Ryder and I was surprised it was a little harder for him to get to sleep. I guess it makes sense though because we have NEVER co-sleeped and basically, he slept kind of with us that night. He also didn’t have his white noise going and he wasn’t in a pack ‘n’ play. I think if we had either or both of those things, it would have gone better. But we wanted to try it out, how we might really camp, so we did. Kevin was going a little crazy trying to get Ryder to go to sleep but I was just like “Whatever, it is his first time.” Ha. I do love to camp and I want to get more of the camping equipment we need (like somehow I don’t have a sleeping bag and of course, Ryder doesn’t own one either) and hopefully next year will go better :) Also, my back can sleep on a pad, or air mattress, or a cot ;) Last summer before starting my Remicade treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis, there was no way I could camp because my back was SO messed up! Thankfully, the medicine is helping so I can live life a little better!

Hope your Labor Day Weekend was superb!


1 comment:

  1. That's such a good idea! If you have a yard that size. ☺looks like it was fun and successful