I have a job!!!
[Warning...this post is long]
I just got hired at Heritage Residential Treatment Center as a part-time Youth Counselor. It is a psychiatric residential treatment center for youth, both boys and girls, ages 13-18. I start Monday for training and that will last 2 weeks (which I will have to skip a few classes...yikes! I am not that kind of person but it will be worth it) and then I think I am good to go!
At this center, they have a year-round school where the kids can learn at their own speed. You can even graduate from this high school. They have a huge theater and they put on 2 plays per year with extravagant costumes, lighting, stage props, etc. This year they are doing the play 'A Christmas Carol' (the one with Scrooge in it- I will def have to watch that bc I forgot all about it). They have equine therapy with both Western and English riding styles. You can even take horse riding lessons for school. Some students take Advanced riding where they can actually jump the horses...something I've always wanted to do, so cool! They have therapeutic recreation, an indoor swimming pool, basketball courts, soccer fields, ropes courses, and more. It is an 18 (or 19) acre place...
I will be in charge of 14 girls, along with another counselor. I met all of the girls last night and they are all so nice and sweet. Apparently they were being pretty difficult the last couple of weeks but the day I visited they had calmed down. The other employees said I picked a good day to meet them haha. Actually meeting the girls was my 2nd interview and after that they said they would let me know if I got the job (today), which I did. So the point of meeting them was for the employees to see how I interacted with them and also how I interacted with the other employees and that kind of a thing. I was hoping it wouldn't be awkward and it sure wasn't. Some of the girls are really talkative and some are more quiet.
Surprisingly, all of the girls in the unit are from California. They said most everyone at the treatment center was from California except for a few random kids. That is so crazy! But the girls I'm over are mainly ages 16-17. I got to see their unit which had a kitchen, living room, and their bedrooms. They just remodeled their house (it is called the Sequoia house) and it looked really nice! They had a nice pink color for an accent wall. I think they really liked it because apparently their old furniture and everything was 10-15 years old.
The time went by really fast when I was hanging out with them and they were all really fun. But I guess I will see why they are in there when I get working...the unit supervisor said some have 1 diagnosis (psychiatric disorder) and some have 5. Some of the reasons they might be here (at the treatment center) could be...
- Mood Disorders: Major depression, Bipolar disorder, Dysthymic Disorder, Depressive Disorders NOS
- Disruptive/Behavior Disorders (I think some of the girls have these types!): Conduct Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Schizophrenia/Thought Disorders: Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform, Schizoaffective, Brief Psychotic Disorder, Delusional Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders: Post-traumatic stress, Obsessive Compulsive, Social Phobia, Acute Stress Disorder, Generalized Anxiety, Avoidant, Panic
- Substance-Related Disorders: Alcohol, Cannabis, Cocaine, Hallucinogens, Inhalants, Opioid, Sedative, Poly Substances, Substance Induced Disorders, Dependence, and Abuse
- Personality Disorder Features: Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic, Avoidant, Dependent, Shizoid, Schizotypol
- Learning Disorders: Reading, Mathematics, Written Expression
- Other such as: Relational problems, academic problems, identity problems, noncompliance with treatment, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, impulse control problems, eating disorders in remission, dissociative features, aspergers disorder